In 1836 George Edward Egerton-Warburton, a young lieutenant of the 51st Regiment, arrived in Albany.
A little later, he sold his commission and returned to Albany where he married and thereafter settled at Saint Werburgh’s.
In 1872 he received he received £550 from his eldest brother, the Squire of Arley Cheshire, for the building of a Chapel at St Werburgh’s.
With the help of artisans the building was completed in 1837 and Bishop Hale consecrated the Chapel on the 21st June, 1874.
The walls were made of clay plug and the roof of shingles, probably sheoak. An Albany carpenter undertook the woodwork, using local sheoak and jarrah. The ironwork was made in the family forge and the font had been the family mortar.
As with all old buildings, preservation and restoration work has been an ongoing concern.
The walls, floor, roof, bell tower and drainage have all had attention and some of these need more work undertaken.
In order to help maintain these commitments a Restoration Fund has been established to preserve this Chapel for future generations.